Here is a strange and NOT so interesting fact about myself….I have never bought tissue paper in my life! I bet I got your attention now! I bet you’re just dying to know where this is going!!!
Every present my family has ever received that has tissue paper surrounding it; I have immediately taken the tissue paper out and carefully folded it back up nicely and added it to my stash of “used” tissue paper.
I actually have no idea how much tissue paper is going for nowadays but I’m sure I have saved my family a few dollars by doing this!!
Tissue paper is not only good for using on presents but is a great way to wrap breakables when temporarily putting them away.
I have also begun making tissue paper decorations for parties! This past weekend we celebrated my youngest son’s 2nd birthday party and I made a few for the party we held at our house!
They are very simple to make, only take about 10 minutes per decoration and best of all they are FREE (if you are a tissue paper hoarder like me)!!!
This is not a new concept. My mom remembers making these for her high school prom! Though in the era that we live in where you can find everything readily made we tend to forget that we can make so many things on our own and save a few dollars doing it!
Directions on how to make Tissue Paper Party Decorations
- Layer 9-10 sheets of tissue paper on top of each other. If they are all not the same size, it’s no big deal but does make things a little easier for the next step.
- Begin to fold your stack of tissue paper accordion style in about 2 inch strips. Fold 2 inches one way and then turn to back side and fold 2 inches the other way. Do this all the way across until you have it all folded.
- Pinch the middle with your fingers and secure with a twisty tie or some kind of bendable wire.
- Now very carefully you start fanning out your pieces of tissue paper. Tissue paper is very fragile so gently do this step but if it rips a little, it’s not a big deal. You won’t notice it when it is all poofed out!!
- The final step is just tying a string around the middle and hanging from your ceiling or desired location!