Hands down, Halloween is my favorite holiday. My love for Halloween can be contributed to the fact that it lands in my favorite season, Fall and that my strongest characteristic of being and doing things imperfect fits well with this holiday!
This past weekend my family jump started this festive season with a trip to get pumpkins and with a project I whirled up in my head.
I have dubbed this project: Spooky Barbie
This project wasn’t really a stretch for me because as a child I LOVED giving my dolls haircuts and dyeing their hair with Kool-Aid.
This weekend I took it up one more notch though!
I knew full well that my daughter was not going to lend me any of her Barbies for this project so I stopped at a rummage sale and picked up two Barbies along with a bigger doll for my son.
- At home I gave the kids acrylic paint and told them to paint the dolls to look…..SPOOKY!!!
- After the paint dried, we dyed the blond dolls’ hair in purple food coloring.
- After their hair was dry, I applied hair spray and we teased their hair to make it look…CRAZY!!!
- Next I fashioned dresses for them using old white burp cloths that I cut into a square, cut a hole in the middle and then I tied this makeshift dress around the middle with a ribbon.
- The final step was using watercolor paint to paint their dresses.
This was a cheap, simple project and truth be told….I would love this project even if I didn’t have kids!!!